Marble is a climate tech venture studio. Our north star is to erase billions of tons from annual greenhouse gas emissions and create a thriving future.
We partner with scientists, engineers and operators to create new deep tech companies that solve hard climate problems — slash industrial emissions, remove carbon from the atmosphere, and cool the planet — while reshaping multi-billion $ industries.
We're proud to be backed by leading climate investors across Europe and the US.
About The Role
We are looking for a Venture Science Analyst - Talent & Community to help us find amazing talent and turn them into deeptech teams pursuing high-impact climate opportunities. Covering talent sourcing, community building and science ecosystem mapping, this role is ideal for a people person who thrive in science and startup settings, with an interest in deeptech and a driving motivation to mitigate climate change.
Reporting to our Talent Associate, you will look for brilliant individuals, handle day-to-day programme operations, and contribute to building a community through events (physical and online). Your work will eventually help us in building and investing in ambitious climate companies!
You will have the opportunity to work directly with brilliant Founders on a mission turn the tide on the climate crisis. You will get exposure to all programme activities and to the worlds of deeptech startups, venture capital, and climate solutions.
This is a unique opportunity to get in at the ground floor as we aim to create a new home for early-stage climate deeptech in Europe.
Location: HQ in Paris, 75010.
Language: English fluency required. French is a strong plus. Another language is a plus.
Availability: 6-month internship starting September 1st 2023.
Reporting to our Talent Associate, you will support research and talent sourcing activities. Your work will help us take strategic decisions on hiring Founders and investing in new companies. You will collaborate with our entire team, Partners included.
Your day-to-day will vary but mostly fall into five main pillars:
- Research. Keeping a close eye on academic, startup, and industry ecosystems you will help us produce analysis and mappings of breakthrough science. You will track the most relevant people, labs and ecosystems and initiate external engagement in order to strengthen our scientific diligence and talent sourcing activities.
- Talent Sourcing. You will identify and reach out to passive outlier candidates with strong technical expertise and Founder potential. You will actively reach out using events and online channels (LinkedIn, Twitter, ResearchGate, Slack, etc). You will initiate or join screening calls to assess candidate potential and interest.
- Events & Community: You will also contribute to organizing digital and physical events to help gather our communities, while having the chance to network with some of the most brilliant minds in climate tech. You will also be part of some of the most active climate tech digital (slack) communities, and engage with like-minded individuals.
- Pipeline & Process : You will cultivate applications throughout the process to build and maintain a top talent pipeline. You will proactively find new ways to track the relevant metrics on hiring exceptional individuals for our programs.
- Operations & Tools: You will ensure that our programme runs smoothly on a daily basis to deliver an outstanding experience for our Founders-in-Residence, from onboarding to work-sessions, investment committee, and more.
Progress and plans for future work will be summarized in reports to our Talent Associate.
The role may occasionally involve travel to attend conferences and other events.
Skills & Profile
While this role has many dimensions, you will spend most of your time interacting with deeply technical, mission-driven individuals working in climate tech. Your ability to learn on the job will be more important than ticking all the boxes, but if you recognise yourself below, we would love to hear from you:
- You are studying for a technical degree and you have a passion for science, especially in domains related to emerging climate solutions.
- You are passionate about climate tech and deeptech entrepreneurship. You are familiar with some of the key trends and relevant ecosystems.
- You have an eye for Founder talent, and you recognise a great team when you see one. Ideally, you are familiar with methods for talent acquisition in startups.
- You enjoy engaging with scientists and engineers who may work in highly specialist fields, and to understand their work. You are fascinated by the wonders of chemistry, materials science, biotechnology, clean energy, machine learning, and more.
- You have a constant appetite for learning new things. You can quickly grasp key concepts of a new field by speaking with experts and reading summary materials.
- You love meeting new people and excel at managing and nurturing relationships. You are approachable, empathetic, and generous.
- You are an excellent written and verbal communicator, able to produce engaging online content, as well as presenting in public. Ideally, you have an intuitive sense of design and you are able to create compelling visual narratives.
- You are naturally at ease with new tools for social media and team collaboration (slack, notion, airtable, folk, etc.). Ideally, you have an awareness of digital marketing (newsletters, events, etc) & automation tools (zapier) and are keen on curating them to the needs of Marble.
- You are a creative thinker, and you enjoy finding new routes to get the word out.
- You are self-motivated and action-oriented. You are comfortable defining your own goals and you enjoy working on multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment. You have a natural ability to prioritise tasks and manage your time.
- You thrive in the creative chaos of early-stage startups. You want to get involved at the ground floor of a new project with high ambitions.
- You have an intrinsic, driving motivation to mitigate climate change.
What We Offer
- €1500 monthly internship compensation
- Flexible remote: HQ in Paris (10e).
- Team + Founder offsites (once per semester)
- Exposure to our network of top investors, mentors & advisors
- Benefits: meal vouchers (Swile), 50% commute refund
How To Apply
Apply ASAP by filling this form. You will be asked for:
- Your CV + LinkedIn and other relevant profiles
- A concise cover letter telling us about you and why you want this role
- An example of a company or research lab doing amazing work in climate that we may not be not familiar with. In one sentence, describe what you love about them.
We believe that a diverse group of minds is key to solving the climate crisis. We encourage women, people of colour and under-represented candidates to apply. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination.