Marble is a climate tech venture studio. Our mission: bring the world at least one gigaton closer to net zero and create a future that thrives.
We partner with scientists, engineers and operators build deeptech startups that slash emissions, remove carbon, and cool the planet.
Want to solve hard climate problems?
Hard Climate Problem: Ocean Carbon Removal
The ocean is the largest carbon sink on the planet, holding 50 times more than the atmosphere, and naturally absorbing a quarter of anthropogenic emissions. Meanwhile, severe climate impacts are already felt by marine ecosystems. Ocean CDR has the potential to reach gigaton scale, with no land or freshwater bottleneck, and many potential co-benefits in restoring ecosystems and countering acidification. However, current approaches face numerous challenges, from material processing to operating in marine environments to assessing net climate and environmental impact through solid MRV.
We are primarily interested in abiotic ocean CDR, which leverage the carbonate system to remove CO2 from the atmosphere and lock it away for millenia. Examples include ocean alkalinity enhancement (OAE) and electrochemical seawater splitting.
We are also open to explore novel biotic pathways that harness marine photosynthesis in ways that overcome current limitations of such methods (e.g. durable sequestration, MRV, net climate impact, nutrient cycle impacts, operating conditions, etc)
- Efficient production of optimised alkalinity sources
- Efficient transport, dispersal and monitoring of alkalinity in seawater
- Electrochemistry: better materials and stack design, novel uses for acid streams
- Improving air-sea gas exchange across various methods
- Interactions between surface sea and deep ocean and/or seabed
- Synergies with existing water flows, offshore energy, coastal and marine industries
- Hybrid applications: metal recovery, CO2 utilisation, hydrogen production, etc
- Bio-hybrids: using biological agents to enhance various parts of the process
- Novel biotic pathways overcoming known limitations of marine photosynthesis
- MRV: sensors and platforms for measurement, reporting and verification of carbon uptake and environmental impacts on marine life
We are actively looking for new Founders in Residence to join us, either:
- As First Founders to scope entirely new approaches
- As Co-Founders for projects in development within Marble
If you are a mission-driven individual with deep expertise in one of the areas below, or any adjacent field, we would love to hear from you!
- Electrochemical engineering, with experience in new cell or new stack design and implementation, or membranes and catalyst design.
- OR Process / chemical / industrial engineering with experience in material processing (mining, cement, lime, ceramics), metal recovery, or reactor design
- OR Geochemistry and related (e.g. mineralogy, geobiology, other geosciences) with experience in rock weathering or CO2 mineralisation
- OR Experience in coastal, marine and water industries, such as desalination, wastewater, energy, shipping, naval engineering, etc
- OR Oceanography, ocean chemistry, ocean modelling, with experience in monitoring the ocean carbon cycle, marine life impacts, or designing MRV protocols
- OR Marine robotics, sensors, platforms with experience in ocean sensing
- OR Algae bioproceses and/or biotechnology
Nice to have: life cycle assessment, techno economic modelling, statistical modelling and MRV experience from other industries, thermal processes
Who We Are Looking For
We encourage you to apply even if you feel you don’t meet all requirements above. We know that some skills can be learned while you are building!
We value intelligence, creativity and Founder Potential:
- You dream of founding your own company becoming your own boss, and putting together a great team to accomplish something awesome.
- You are a pragmatic optimist with a driving motivation to mitigate climate change.
- You love to communicate your passion for deeply complex subjects
- You are self-motivated, action-oriented, and you enjoy working on multiple aspects of a complex project with an interdisciplinary team, in a fast-paced environment.
- You are naturally inquisitive and curious, anchor on the right concepts quickly, and go deep enough to surface non-obvious insights.
- You approach radically new ideas with an open mind. You get to the salient questions quickly, and your first instinct is to ask how they scale.
- You understand that innovation really starts with people, not ideas. You enjoy building collaborations within a team and with external partners.
What We Offer
As a Founder-in-Residence, you’ll be joining like-minded individuals who also believe in the need for deeptech solutions to fight climate change.
For First Founder opportunities, you would be scoping entirely new approaches together with us, before we go on to find your future co-founders.
For Co-Founder opportunities, you would be partnering with a Founder in Residence who has already been developing a great idea within Marble. You will have the opportunity to meet her/him before making any big commitment — to learn more about the idea and evaluate how well you’d be working together!
In both cases, we offer (among other things)
- A €2500 monthly allowance during your participation in the programme
- A €250,000 pre-seed investment on startup creation, if you are successful. You and your team will own 80% of the company at pre-seed.
- Full-stack support in our venture creation programme
- Mentorship and guidance at every step of the way
- Hands on support across technology and market research, landing interviews with experts and customers, techno economic modelling, roadmap and scaleup strategy, sourcing your future co-founders and advisors, and more
- Access to an unparalleled network across science, industry, talent, investors, mentors, and other climate deeptech founders
- Access to our research insights, knowledge base and curated resources
- Weekly check-ins, work sessions in our Paris HQ (or remote) and continuous peer learning with other programme participants
- Seed Fundraising support after the programme. Introductions to the best seed investors and help with term sheet negotiation.
- Founder Visa sponsorship if you wish to relocate to France. Remote participation is possible, preferably from Europe and with regular in-person meetings.
How To Apply
We are currently taking applications for the October 2022 cohort:
We believe that a diverse group of minds is key to solving the climate crisis. We encourage women and people of colour to apply.
Studies have shown that under-represented candidates are less likely to apply for an opportunity unless they feel they meet every single qualification.
We are committed to building a diverse, inclusive and mission-driven cohort. If you’re excited about the programme but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with what you read on our website, we encourage you to apply anyways!
For a full list of FAQs, please visit our website.