Marble is a climate tech venture studio. Our mission: bring the world at least one gigaton closer to net zero and create a future that thrives.
We partner with scientists, engineers and operators build deeptech startups that slash emissions, remove carbon, and cool the planet.
Want to solve hard climate problems?
Hard Climate Problem: CO2 Mineralisation
Mineralisation occurs when certain rocks are exposed to CO2, which binds with calcium, magnesium or other elements to form carbonate minerals. This phenomenon naturally removes 1.1 gigaton of CO2 per year and could be enhanced to multi-gigaton scale by 2050. Mineralisation has three unique advantages: chemical reactions require no energy input, the reactive minerals are in almost unlimited supply, and sequestration into rocks ensure maximum permanence. However, the reaction rate is very slow, the distribution of optimal resources is poorly understood, and certain methods face other challenges across water use, safety, logistics scaleup, and carbon uptake measurement.
We are scoping opportunities to remove these bottlenecks and unlock the gigaton potential of carbon mineralisation. This impact area being relatively unexplored compared to other pathways, we believe that several whitespaces exist for radical improvement.
- Mapping existing alkaline resources: natural (basalts, peridotites, serpentinites) and human-made (mining and industrial waste)
- Efficient production and handling of optimised alkaline materials
- Improving reaction kinetics and mass transfer via process engineering, novel reactors, biological agents, electrochemistry, or other methods
- Synergies with agriculture (enhanced rock weathering), mining and industrial operations, siting near abundant low-carbon energy
- Hybrid applications: metal recovery, CO2 utilisation, hydrogen production, etc
- MRV: sensors and platforms for measurement, reporting and verification of carbon uptake and environmental impacts (esp. on biodiversity)
- Scaleable logistics to handle very large material quantities
- Optimised in-situ mineralisation for CO2 storage
- Carbon-negative concrete
- Surprise us!
We are actively looking for new Founders in Residence to join us, either:
- As First Founders to scope entirely new approaches
- As Co-Founders for projects in development within Marble
If you are a mission-driven individual with deep expertise in one of the areas below, or any adjacent field, we would love to hear from you!
- Geochemistry and related (e.g. mineralogy, geobiology, other geosciences) with experience in rock weathering and/or CO2 mineralisation
- OR Process / chemical / mechanical engineering with experience in areas like CCUS, material processing (mining, cement, lime, ceramics, industrial waste), metal recovery, electrochemistry, reactor design, fluid flow in porous media
- OR Experience in mining, cement, industrial waste management
- OR Microbiology or biotechnology with experience in biomineralisation
- OR Geospatial data modelling, machine learning
Nice to have: process optimisation, MRV, techno economic modelling, life cycle assessment, Direct Air Capture, CO2 storage
Who We Are Looking For
We encourage you to apply even if you feel you don’t meet all requirements above. We know that some skills can be learned while you are building!
We value intelligence, creativity and Founder Potential:
- You dream of founding your own company becoming your own boss, and putting together a great team to accomplish something awesome.
- You are a pragmatic optimist with a driving motivation to mitigate climate change.
- You love to communicate your passion for deeply complex subjects
- You are self-motivated, action-oriented, and you enjoy working on multiple aspects of a complex project with an interdisciplinary team, in a fast-paced environment.
- You are naturally inquisitive and curious, anchor on the right concepts quickly, and go deep enough to surface non-obvious insights.
- You approach radically new ideas with an open mind. You get to the salient questions quickly, and your first instinct is to ask how they scale.
- You understand that innovation really starts with people, not ideas. You enjoy building collaborations within a team and with external partners.
What We Offer
As a Founder-in-Residence, you’ll be joining like-minded individuals who also believe in the need for deeptech solutions to fight climate change.
For First Founder opportunities, you would be scoping entirely new approaches together with us, before we go on to find your future co-founders.
For Co-Founder opportunities, you would be partnering with a Founder in Residence who has already been developing a great idea within Marble. You will have the opportunity to meet her/him before making any big commitment — to learn more about the idea and evaluate how well you’d be working together!
In both cases, we offer (among other things)
- A €2500 monthly allowance during your participation in the programme
- A €250,000 pre-seed investment on startup creation, if you are successful. You and your team will own 80% of the company at pre-seed.
- Full-stack support in our venture creation programme
- Mentorship and guidance at every step of the way
- Hands on support across technology and market research, landing interviews with experts and customers, techno economic modelling, roadmap and scaleup strategy, sourcing your future co-founders and advisors, and more
- Access to an unparalleled network across science, industry, talent, investors, mentors, and other climate deeptech founders
- Access to our research insights, knowledge base and curated resources
- Weekly check-ins, work sessions in our Paris HQ (or remote) and continuous peer learning with other programme participants
- Seed Fundraising support after the programme. Introductions to the best seed investors and help with term sheet negotiation.
- Founder Visa sponsorship if you wish to relocate to France. Remote participation is possible, preferably from Europe and with regular in-person meetings.
How To Apply
We are currently taking applications for the October 2022 cohort:
We believe that a diverse group of minds is key to solving the climate crisis. We encourage women and people of colour to apply.
Studies have shown that under-represented candidates are less likely to apply for an opportunity unless they feel they meet every single qualification.
We are committed to building a diverse, inclusive and mission-driven cohort. If you’re excited about the programme but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with what you read on our website, we encourage you to apply anyways!
For a full list of FAQs, please visit our website.