Marble is a climate tech venture studio. Our mission: bring the world at least one gigaton closer to net zero and create a future that thrives.
We partner with scientists, engineers and operators build deeptech startups that slash emissions, remove carbon, and cool the planet.
Want to solve hard climate problems?
Hard Climate Problem: DAC & CCUS
Engineered carbon cycles will be crucial to address emissions from hard-to-abate industries. One promising idea is to recycle and transform CO2 into essential molecules to displace their fossil equivalents in the fuels and chemicals sector.
Current efforts face several bottlenecks. First, most conversion methods remain inefficient and energy intensive. Second, carbon neutral molecules require CO2 removed from the air, either through biomass (supply constrained) or DAC (expensive). Third, a lack of flexibility on siting and H2 sourcing can lead to suboptimal economics. Fourth, multi step processes inherently come with higher CAPEX costs.
We are developing a breakthrough process tackling all these challenges. We are starting with methanol, with a path to future expansion into C2+ products.
We have developed a novel system which captures CO2 from the atmosphere and combines it with clean H2 to produce carbon neutral methanol at a competitive price.
Methanol is one of four primary chemicals used to make most products. It has also emerged as a shipping fuel of choice. By 2050, the methanol market will reach 500Mt and $165B, which will add 1.5GtCO2 annual emissions, if left unabated.
Our approach leverages a novel, highly efficient CO2 conversion technology, and a smart integration with DAC, leading to much lower capex and opex. Modular design and capturing CO2 directly from the air allows for maximum flexibility in siting, H2 and power supply, leading to further optimisation of process economics.
We have a credible path toward cost-parity (or near-parity) with fossil methanol.
Mid-term, our platform technology can be tuned for other valuable molecules such as methane, ethylene, and other C2+ products.
We are looking for a talented individual to join as CEO and Co-Founder.
- The project is in its infancy, but key technical aspects have been validated. The project is led by a stellar CTO Co-Founder with a PhD in CO2 conversion, and we have onboarded world class advisors on all key technical challenges foreseen.
- The CEO role is broad but you will have a particular focus on customer and partnership development, product, team building, fundraising, as well as techno economic analysis. You will potentially have a foot in certain areas of tech, depending on your background and how you split the work with your co-founder.
If you are a mission-driven individual with experience in one of the areas below, and with both a commercial & engineering mindset, we would love to hear from you!
- Experienced industry professional with a background in either DAC, CCUS, chemicals (C1, C2+ products), oil & gas, or clean energy
- OR Experienced deeptech startup operator with a proven interest in the areas above, and ability to get up to speed quickly on both tech and market
- OR Process / mechanical / chemical engineering with experience in sectors listed above and a strong commercial mindset
Nice to have: experience with techno economic analysis, life cycle assessment, sales, partnerships, fundraising, deeptech product development
Who We Are Looking For
We encourage you to apply even if you feel you don’t meet all requirements above. We know that some skills can be learned while you are building!
We value intelligence, creativity and Founder Potential:
- You dream of founding your own company becoming your own boss, and putting together a great team to accomplish something awesome.
- You are a pragmatic optimist with a driving motivation to mitigate climate change.
- You love to communicate your passion for deeply complex subjects
- You are self-motivated, action-oriented, and you enjoy working on multiple aspects of a complex project with an interdisciplinary team, in a fast-paced environment.
- You are naturally inquisitive and curious, anchor on the right concepts quickly, and go deep enough to surface non-obvious insights.
- You approach radically new ideas with an open mind. You get to the salient questions quickly, and your first instinct is to ask how they scale.
- You understand that innovation really starts with people, not ideas. You enjoy building collaborations within a team and with external partners.
What We Offer
As Co-Founder & CEO you will partner with a Marble Founder in Residence who has been developing this project and will take the CTO role of the new company. You will have the opportunity to meet her/him before making any big commitment — to learn more about the idea and evaluate how well you’d be working together.
We offer (among other things)
- A €2500 monthly allowance during your participation in the programme
- A €250,000 pre-seed investment on startup creation, if you are successful. You and your team will own 80% of the company at pre-seed.
- Full-stack support in our venture creation programme
- Mentorship and guidance at every step of the way
- Hands on support across technology and market research, landing interviews with experts and customers, techno economic modelling, roadmap and scaleup strategy, sourcing your future co-founders and advisors, and more
- Access to an unparalleled network across science, industry, talent, investors, mentors, and other climate deeptech founders
- Access to our research insights, knowledge base and curated resources
- Weekly check-ins, work sessions in our Paris HQ (or remote) and continuous peer learning with other programme participants
- Seed Fundraising support after the programme. Introductions to the best seed investors and help with term sheet negotiation.
- Founder Visa sponsorship if you wish to relocate to France. Remote participation is possible, preferably from Europe and with regular in-person meetings.
How to Apply
We are looking for the best candidate - so you are welcome to apply as soon as possible.
We believe that a diverse group of minds is key to solving the climate crisis. We encourage women and people of colour to apply.
Studies have shown that under-represented candidates are less likely to apply for an opportunity unless they feel they meet every single qualification.
We are committed to building a diverse, inclusive and mission-driven cohort. If you’re excited about the programme but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with what you read on our website, we encourage you to apply anyways!
For a full list of FAQs, please visit our website.