Marble is a climate tech venture studio. Our mission: bring the world at least one gigaton closer to net zero and create a future that thrives.
We partner with scientists, engineers and operators build deeptech startups that slash emissions, remove carbon, and cool the planet.
Want to solve hard climate problems?
Hard Climate Problem: Bioengineered CDR
Biological carbon fixation pulls 100s of Gt C from the atmosphere every year, as plants, algae, bacteria, archaea, and other organisms form biomass through photosynthesis or chemosynthesis. Nature-based solutions harness this superpower but cannot deliver the scale of carbon removal that the world needs.
We believe there are many white spaces to engineer biology for large scale CDR, taking advantage of a cambrian explosion in synthetic biology tools and methods. We are exploring opportunities across two broad categories, mostly low TRL.
One general idea is to engineer organisms that grow faster (enhanced carbon fixation) and to combine this with durable biomass sequestration (avoiding decomposition to CO2 or CH4). The latter could be achieved in several ways, such as clever methods to preserve the biomass, or engineering the organism to produce stable biopolymers that resist decomposition.
Another thrust is to use biological agents (enzymes, organisms) to increase the performance of other CDR techniques, like DAC, mineralisation, or ocean carbon removal.
- Augmented photosynthesis (engineering CCMs in plants, turning C3 to C4/CAM)
- Engineering novel biosynthesis pathways (e.g. rewiring C metabolism in heterotrophs, rewiring N/P metabolism in autotrophs, etc)
- Growing stable biopolymers (sporopollenin, lignin, suberin, glomalin, or potentially others we haven’t found out yet!)
- Biomass preservation methods that prevent decomposition to CO2 and CH4
- Preventing P depletion in ecosystems upon C sequestration
- Biogeochemical CDR: using biological agents to effect silicate dissolution, carbonate formation, gas-liquid exchange, and related reactions
- Bio-hybrid DAC: using enzymes (or even microbes) to enhance membranes, solvents, mineralisation, electrochemical systems … in Direct Air Capture
- Approaches for degrading lands (permafrost, peatlands, wetlands, coastal areas)
- Computational tools for ecosystem modelling
- Surprise us!
We are actively looking for new Founders in Residence to join us, either:
- As First Founders to scope entirely new approaches
- As Co-Founders for projects in development within Marble
If you are a mission-driven individual with deep expertise in one of the areas below, or any adjacent field, we would love to hear from you!
- Synthetic biology, molecular biology or similar, with experience in metabolic rewiring of model organisms and construction of genetic circuits
- OR plant sciences, microbiology or related, with experience in performing bioassays, photosynthesis analysis, RNA sequencing or bacterial transformations
- OR enzyme engineering, with experience in directed evolution, enzyme immobilisation and other methods to enhance enzyme stability
- OR bioelectrochemistry, with experience designing, building and optimising cells and improving overall biocatalytic efficiency
- OR computational biology, systems biology or related, ideally with experience with retrosynthesis tools and other predictive modelings
Nice to have: fundamentals of chemical and process engineering, materials science, MRV, techno economic modelling, life cycle assessment
Who We Are Looking For
We encourage you to apply even if you feel you don’t meet all requirements above. We know that some skills can be learned while you are building!
We value intelligence, creativity and Founder Potential:
- You dream of founding your own company becoming your own boss, and putting together a great team to accomplish something awesome.
- You are a pragmatic optimist with a driving motivation to mitigate climate change.
- You love to communicate your passion for deeply complex subjects
- You are self-motivated, action-oriented, and you enjoy working on multiple aspects of a complex project with an interdisciplinary team, in a fast-paced environment.
- You are naturally inquisitive and curious, anchor on the right concepts quickly, and go deep enough to surface non-obvious insights.
- You approach radically new ideas with an open mind. You get to the salient questions quickly, and your first instinct is to ask how they scale.
- You understand that innovation really starts with people, not ideas. You enjoy building collaborations within a team and with external partners.
What We Offer
As a Founder-in-Residence, you’ll be joining like-minded individuals who also believe in the need for deeptech solutions to fight climate change.
For First Founder opportunities, you would be scoping entirely new approaches together with us, before we go on to find your future co-founders.
For Co-Founder opportunities, you would be partnering with a Founder in Residence who has already been developing a great idea within Marble. You will have the opportunity to meet her/him before making any big commitment — to learn more about the idea and evaluate how well you’d be working together!
In both cases, we offer (among other things)
- A €2500 monthly allowance during your participation in the programme
- A €250,000 pre-seed investment on startup creation, if you are successful. You and your team will own 80% of the company at pre-seed.
- Full-stack support in our venture creation programme
- Mentorship and guidance at every step of the way
- Hands on support across technology and market research, landing interviews with experts and customers, techno economic modelling, roadmap and scaleup strategy, sourcing your future co-founders and advisors, and more
- Access to an unparalleled network across science, industry, talent, investors, mentors, and other climate deeptech founders
- Access to our research insights, knowledge base and curated resources
- Weekly check-ins, work sessions in our Paris HQ (or remote) and continuous peer learning with other programme participants
- Seed Fundraising support after the programme. Introductions to the best seed investors and help with term sheet negotiation.
- Founder Visa sponsorship if you wish to relocate to France. Remote participation is possible, preferably from Europe and with regular in-person meetings.
How To Apply
We are currently taking applications for the October 2022 cohort:
We believe that a diverse group of minds is key to solving the climate crisis. We encourage women and people of colour to apply.
Studies have shown that under-represented candidates are less likely to apply for an opportunity unless they feel they meet every single qualification.
We are committed to building a diverse, inclusive and mission-driven cohort. If you’re excited about the programme but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with what you read on our website, we encourage you to apply anyways!
For a full list of FAQs, please visit our website.